The program for the day assumes you have little or no previous experience and subject to weather conditions, would be as follows:
10am. Meet at Bradwell on Sea
- Complete paperwork
- Introduction to weather, tides, charts and maps, safety on the water.
- Introduction to different types of kayaks and equipment.
- Select individual kit, load trailer and travel to the launch point.
- Learning and practicing all the basic kayak handling skills including capsize.
- After lunch we will take a journey along the coast and out to sea (depending on the weather and sea conditions), practicing the skills we learned earlier and exploring the local area. Deep water rescues can be practiced again at the end of the trip if required.
- Return to kayak store, wash and pack away kit.
- Review of the day and leave by 5pm
Clients would normally provide their own transport from the kayak store to the launch point but I have some spaces in my car if necessary
Bad weather Alternative
Should the sea conditions be too challenging to be able to run the course at Bradwell, we will travel from Bradwell to Alton Water where we will cover all the same skills but in a more protected environment. This is a large Reservoir the other side of Mannigtree where there are changing rooms, showers and a café. The extra cost for using the Alton Water facilities is £8 per boat which is payable on the day. The start and finish times at Bradwell will be the same. Should the conditions be too extreme to go out at all, clients will receive a full refund. I will contact all clients on the previous evening if cancellation is necessary.
Who it's for
Anyone over 18 yrs. younger participants may attend with parents or responsible adults
£95 - Includes all equipment
There are no scheduled introduction to sea kayaking day events.
Get in touch if you're interested.