This is the basic content for the bush craft courses. However, groups may request a focus on specific subjects which can be accommodated.
This day is an introduction to the main skills and knowledge required for living in the woods. The following topics will be included:
- Knife skills - Introduction to the bush craft knife and saw, its uses including basic carving and cutting skills to make useful camp gadgets and to prepare wood for fire
- Shelter building - Constructing a bivvy shelter using a number of different designs, including useful knots.
- Modern and traditional fire making techniques - Gathering and preparing materials, learning to use a fire-steel/flint and steel with a variety of tinders.
- Cooking on an open fire - Basic food preparation using cooking pots and pans
- Sourcing materials and uses - Collecting tinder and identifying appropriate materials for various uses
Minimum age: 14. Under 16’s need to be accompanied by an adult.
A cooked lunch is included and hot and cold drinks are always available. Everyone shares the preparation and cooking. Duration: 10am to 5pm
Who it's for
Suitable youth leaders, teachers, Forest School leaders and anyone wishing to develop their own bushcraft and survival skills. No previous experience or specialist kit needed. Equipment will be provided
Under 18’s £50
A cooked lunch is included and hot and cold drinks are always available. Everyone shares the preparation and cooking.
Layer de la Haye. Colchester
There are no scheduled introduction to bushcraft: 1 day course events.
Get in touch if you're interested.